Ginrich's Devotional Blog

June 28, 2019

Tithe First

Filed under: Christian,commands,God,meditation,Obey,prayer,tithe,Uncategorized — by ginrich @ 7:59 pm

Deuteronomy 14:22 22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. (NIV)

Luke 18:12 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’  (NIV)

The command to tithe is in the Old Testament.  Why do we need to tithe since we no longer are following the sacrifices and many other things commanded in the Old Testament?  God doesn’t need our tithe.  God already owns all that is.  We need to tithe to remind us that all we have is from God.  The tithe is considered to be 10% of our income (from whatever source we get our income today).  That leaves 90%, the majority of our income up to our discretion.  Hopefully we will use some of that as offerings to further the Kingdom News on this earth.  The habit of tithing teaches us discipline in what God has entrusted to us.  To me, tithing is a privilege.  I’m privilege God allows me to be part of His work in spreading the Good News of His love and His desire for us to know His love for us.  Tithing is easy.  Other disciplines are harder.  The discipline of reading, studying and meditating on God’s written word, the Holy Bible each and every day is harder than the discipline of tithing.  The discipline of taking more than a quick moment to say a prayer, but to really take time to listen is harder than the discipline of tithing.  Yet, it surprises me how many people who claim to be Christians, do not tithe but spend most of their money, get into debt and say they don’t have enough money to tithe.  May I encourage those of you who have not developed this discipline to do so.  Make that 10% the first thing you give before spending on other things.  Not because you have been told God promised to give back to you 10 fold, but because you love God and want to acknowledge not only with your mouth that God is God and owns everything but you also want to attest to that knowledge with your financial assets.

Advertisements

February 7, 2019

God First

Filed under: commandment,God,Obey,tithe,Uncategorized — by ginrich @ 8:19 pm

1 Kings 17:13 13 Elijah said to her, “Don’t be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small loaf of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. (NIV)

Read the entire event here.  Notice Elijah told the widow to give to him first before she made bread for she and her terminally ill son (later the son dies and Elijah prays and he comes back to life).  This goes with the commandment not to put any other gods before God but always put God first.  God sent Elijah to the widow not to save Elijah but so God could save the widow and her son.  He saved her because she put Him first by putting Elijah first before her own need.  She never ran out of flour or oil during the entire famine.  What we are to learn from this is not only putting God first in giving our tithe but to put Him first in all we have and in the use of our time.  Putting God first in our lives enables Him to care for our needs.  Yes, God can care for our needs even if we don’t obey, but God is not a God of confusion.  He is the  God of order and by His nature He follows His order.  Let us learn to put Him first in our finances, our service, our time and every area of our lives

September 21, 2018

More than Enough

Filed under: Bible,Christian,devotion,gifts,God,God's Word,Jesus,tithe,Uncategorized — by ginrich @ 7:57 pm

Exodus 36:4-5 4 So all the skilled workers who were doing all the work on the sanctuary left what they were doing 5 and said to Moses, “The people are bringing more than enough for doing the work the Lord commanded to be done. (NIV)

The Hebrews were bringing their free will offering from their possessions to build and furnish the Tabernacle Tent.  They had walked through times of obedience and gratitude and times of disobedience and total lack of trust and belief in God.  Now they were back in a of obedience and thankfulness and were more than happy and very eager to show their thankfulness to God.  They were so very thankful they were bringing in all they had.  Where are we in our thankfulness and obedience to God?  How much of our possessions, our money, do we bring in as an offering to God?  Do our churches and our Christian charities have more than enough to take care of the needs of the sick, hungry and hurting people?  What is our attitude when we bring of our possessions, our money and our time, to God?  These are questions we each much face and answer honestly.  God knows how much we give and why we give it.  He knows if it is out of love and thanksgiving we give or simply obedience for the sake of obedience.  The tithe, 10 % is one thing.  What about our thank offering? 

Blog at WordPress.com.